Saturday, October 19, 2024


 

Rambles on sunny fall days in Berkshires

A couple rides in the Berkshires. The bridge, the Bardwells Ferry Bridge, you may recognize from my layout pictures. Unfortunately, it is currently closed for repairs in the distant future. The photo of Bardwells Station was taken on the other side of the bridge in 1920. The double track back then and what appears to be a passing sliding is the old B&M East West Main line. The deck truss bridge in the distance is still there today, supporting almost daily freights on the remaining single track. At night I can hear the long freights moving through the Deerfield River valley a couple miles away and below where I live...

 
Bardwells Ferry Bridge Today
 
 
Bardwell Station in 1920

 
Bardwell Station is long gone, but the old B&M Main line remains.
 
 
 
 
A ride on a back road ( South River Road) took me to the Buckland/Charlemont border. Now, just off the picture is a steep drop and at the bottom is the old Boston & Maine mainline following the Deerfield River - to the Bardwells Station site if you head downstream...too much foliage to see, but there are a few hints of the Deerfield River that can be seen through the trees.
 


For all the years I have lived in this area I didn't know the name of this road until I saw it on my ride!



Last, this is not my pic, but an area I visit often. Chester MA has some great artifacts, walks, a station/museum and more...read all about it here:  

https://keystonearches.com/ (https://keystonearches.com/)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Rambles on sunny fall days in Berkshires A couple rides in the Berkshires. The bridge, the Bardwells Ferry Bridge, you may recognize from ...